Cura is an open source single software solution by Ultimaker.
06.05.2013 – Cura is available for Windows, OSX and Linux and allows for positioning and scaling of 3D models, as well as slicing and sending the GCode file to a 3D printer. The software was developed for the Ultimaker 3D printer but is also compatible with other RepRap devices.
Software Update: Cura-13.03
You can download the free software on Github.
Update: 06.05.13 – Cura Bug Fixes
Ultimaker introduces a new version of Cura with a few bug fixes:
- Fix: preference window failed to open properly on Mac.
- Fix: mac “E steps preference” not used in actual GCode.
- Fix: serial port settings not functioning for USB printing on Mac.
- Fix: bed temperature not working for Mac.
- Update: added keyboard support to switch layers in slicing viewer*.
- Fix: objects turned black in some mirror & rotation uses.
- Fix: slicing objects with Russian filenames.
- Fix: saving projects in the project planner.
- Update: default profiles (low/mid/high quality) have been tweaked for improved prints.
- Fix: dual-extrusion slicing with 2 parts no longer stops at the lowest object.
- Improved: installation on Linux.
- Fix: defaults to full screen.
The new version can be downloaded here.
Update: 20.06.2013 – Interview with Cura developer David Braam
July 2, 2015: Update – Completely reengineered version and new features
Cura has been completely reengineered from the ground up using the Uranium framework, allowing for a seamless integration between hardware, software and materials.
- New plug-in based system (Uranium framework)
- Overhauled, more intuitive user interface
- Time-Quality Slider replacing 3 default profiles to have more control over balance between quality and printing time
- Advanced mode for settings
- Support for high-DPI screens
- Optimised support structure for CuraEngine
- Experimental feature: Wire Printing
- Undo/Redo feature
Features to be added in Future:
- Configuration Wizard and Bed Levelling Wizard for Ultimaker Original and Original+
- All at once/at a time printing
- Dual extrusion feature with a completely new workflow
- Improved way to incorporate “Lay Flat” and “Split Objects into Parts”
- Future plug-ins will include support for DAE and AMF files. GCode files can be loaded directly. Plug-ins to support PNG and JPG as well as other image formats. Support for loading Minecraft levels
- X-Ray view
The new version is available for download here.